The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) has a new policy in place that will enable students defer examinations as a result of tight schedule or circumstance that may interfere during exams, this is possible as a result of the flexible mode and distant learning nature of the university.
Students wishing to defer or post-pone examinations must ensure the affected courses are duly registered and the application seeking the deferment should be done before the examination date. The application for the deferment should be addressed to the registrar through the study center director.
This service attracts no charges and students are not required to pay any extra fee before writing the deferred examinations.
Below is the full details of the policy on examination deferment as published by the university:
POLICY ON DEFERMENT OF EXAMINATION
In the spirit of Open and Distance Learning (ODL) and the flexibility that comes with the mode, a student is qualified to apply for deferment of examination(s). The deferment permits a temporary postponement of participation in examination(s).
The guidelines of the policy include and not limited to the following:
- Owing to the peculiarities of the Open and Distance Learning system which gives room for flexibility, students are allowed to defer their examinations as long as the following conditions are met:
- Such students must have fully registered for the semester
- Such students must have registered for the Examinations
- Application for deferment must be received before the start of Examinations
- All applications are to be endorsed and forwarded to the Registrar through the Study Centre Directors.
- All applications should be backed with relevant documents and a desk officer in the Registry is assigned to check the authenticity of the documents.
- Students whose applications are received and approved and who have paid examination registration fees before the examinations are not to pay registration fee for the same examinations when they are ready to take them.
- A dedicated portal would be opened within the time frame of one month before the commencement of examinations for deferment cases.
- The request for deferment attracts no fee.
- Applications for deferment as a result of emergencies such as illness, accident, Death or serious illness of person in the immediate family or other person with whom the student has a similarly close relationship, which requires the student’s attention, etc shall be addressed at the discretion of the Management.
This policy takes effect from March 2015. The University Community, all Deans, Directors of Academic Directorates and Directors of Study Centres are to please note this for further necessary action.
Josephine O. Akinyemi FAUA (Mrs.)
Registrar/ Secretary to the Senate