- Organization: American University (AU)
- Application Deadline Listing Expired
- Required Experience High School
American University (AU) Emerging Global Leader Scholarship 2019 – The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change, and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board) for one international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States. The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
Important: Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2019. If you are not selected as the 2019 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 you provided. Estimated costs for the 2018-2019 academic year are U.S.$66,717.
You are NOT eligible to apply if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2017.
AU EGLS candidates must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2019. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with a 95+ TOEFL iBT, 7.0+ IELTS, 600+ paper-based TOEFL (taken on or prior to May 31, 2017), or sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017).
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2019.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at lease 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2019.
The AU EGLS selection process is most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by December 15, 2018.
- Complete the online AU EGLS application and Questions 1-4.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Submit your official TOEFL or IELTS score results if available (see preferred scores above). These can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. International Admissions will call ETS or IELTS to verify scores on your behalf.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2018, or by January 15, 2019 at the latest. Please note that students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA such as USAP, CCC, Opportunity Grants, Diana Kamal Scholarship Search, or similar, or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to email@example.com as a PDF.
- If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$66,717 (estimated costs for first year of study).
Skype interviews will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.